Friday, July 11, 2014

A SECONDHAND WEEKEND

 

Well, I kept my vow not to buy anything until July 1st. That's the day I found the by the pound Goodwill in Tallahassee, Fla. It's at 300 Mabry if you're in the area. It's smaller than the one in Charlotte, North Carolina and is more expensive. Not  that $1.79 a pound is high priced. Anyway, I found 5 pieces. 4 tops and a man's white dress shirt with French cuffs. I took that to the costume shop. Grand total: $5, as I rounded up.


 I've already worn the brown hippie tunic and snap front blouse. Sorry for the crap photo, I could not get the lighting right, this is the best photo of the try.

 The 4th item is this velvet top/sweater from J Jill. All 4 pieces fit!


And, of course, I had to look for shoes. I found these at DSW for $50.



We sent the holiday weekend visiting DJ Baby Bok Choy (aka my BFF) and we hit 4, yes, 4 shops on Saturday.  First up was the by the pound store in Charlotte, located on Freedom Drive. It's about 4 times the size of the one in Tallahassee and is $1.39 a pound. We bought 16 pounds of stuff. DJBBC got a wool full length winter coat and some big wrap around you scarves.



 This photo is out of  order and I got this Vanity Fair bathrobe at the Value Village.

Here's what I found at B-T-P:

 2 pillow shams that match my bedding! How crazy is that?

 A vintage sweater vest for the Doctor and a Audrey Hepburn t-shirt for me.

 A crazy clock sweater for me. Again with the lighting


 Here's a close up. Tick tock, what time is it? Time to be awesome!



 brown '60's dress that buttons up the back
 Leather jacket that almost fits

 I can't pass up vintage ties and a pretty purple hippie purse. The ties had their own bin, which is about 4-5 feet by 3 feet. On the way home I was wondering how much it would cost to buy the whole thing. Most of the ties seemed to be silk and I got to thinking about what can be made out of them. Hmm...........


 In the same stripe mall is a Value Village where I found this lovely '70's dress, the belt is missing. Missing belts live in another dimension with those lost socks we all have. DJBBC got a wooden turtle necklace.

Our favorite Thai restaurant was closed for the holiday so we headed across town to the other Value Village, which I think is on South St. We eat lunch at a Panda Express, which was fine.

I always find lots of vintage at this store.

 2 jackets from the '70's. The dark one is from Time Out by Farah and the other one is from Bradlees, which was a department store in the North East. The Vanity Fair bathrobe was also bought here. DJBBC got a couple of dresses.

The 4th shop is a small one around the corner from DJBBC's work. I think it's called House of Thrifts. I didn't find anything, but DJBBC found a woven purse with leather handles.


 Also bought a new watch from Target and DJBBC found this beautiful stone necklace for me. I forgot where, but it's 2nd hand, too.

Hurricane Arther sucked all (ok, most) of the humidity out of the air, so Saturday and Sunday where pleasant. On Sunday we all went to the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden outside of Charlotte. What a beautiful place. As an extra treat, like the beautiful garden wasn't enough, there is an art exhibit from Zimbabwe. And I didn't take any photos as I was enjoying the moment. If you what to see some of the art you can go here:

zimsculpt.com

We didn't buy a sculptures, but I did get this.
  
 It's an egg made out of lepidolite. Lepidolite is a mineral that lithium comes from, so it's a healing stone. I just thought it was pretty.

We sent a great deal of time watching old movies on a cable channel I've never heard of called gettv. It shows movies from the 1930's, '40's, '50's and 60's. The Doctor got bored and went on a couple of nature walks.


So that was our 4th of July holiday trip. I went by the theatre on Wednesday to check on the 42ns Street photos, which I know you're all dying to see. The lighting designer is taking them this weekend, so stay tuned!






6 comments:

  1. Scores galore! The hipsters would be falling over themselves for that insane 1980s cardi. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, no they will not! I'm keeping that for myself!

      Delete
  2. The clock sweater is unique! I'd put it in the "really good stuff to wear to a really nice party" closet bag. But any of the other frugally obtained wardrobe acquisitions would have made this a 5* hunt in my reckoning.

    About those ties: My hairdresser's dad collected ties for 30 years, so that when he passed there were elebenty zillion boxes (sorted to color and fabric) to be disposed of in a proper manner. She hired a local ladies' quilting club to create quilts for her and her 3 sisters -- the club ladies kept the leftovers for projects of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get my head around buying second hand by weight - I mean its hard enough as I live with kilos and the exchange rate but $1.79 is amazing. The clock sweater is fantastic - great detail and very quirky, also the Hepburn teeshirt is very cool. I have seen skirts made out of ties and also I think a cape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang why don't we have those "by the pound" stores?!?!?

    ReplyDelete